5 lbs. Mussels, cleaned and debearded.
12 oz. Hefeweizen (I used Sierra Nevada Kellerweis, which is a fairly traditional hefe)
14 oz. Light coconut milk
1 tbsp. Yellow curry powder
10 Scallions, sliced thin
1/2 tsp. Ginger powder
1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper
1/2 cup chopped Basil (I used sweet basil, but Thai basil would be ideal)
1 tbsp. Peanut oil
1) Heat peanut oil in large pot over medium to medium-high heat.
2) Add scallions and saute 5 minutes.
3) Add curry powder, ginger, cayenne pepper and salt to taste. Cook 3 more minutes
4) Add coconut milk and hefeweizen. Simmer 5 minutes.
5) Increase to high heat. Add mussels, cover, and steam for 8 minutes.
6) Stir in basil.
Serve with bread and hefeweizen.