5 lbs. Mussels, cleaned and debearded
3 lbs. Tomatoes
1 Long red chili pepper, fine dice
2 Shallots, minced
4 cloves Garlic, minced
1 cups Chopped parsley
1 cup White wine
1 hearty pinch of Saffron
1 tbsp Olive oil
1) Blanch tomatoes for 1 minute in boiling water. Rinse with cold water and peel. Chop tomatoes thoroughly. Reserve juice in a separate bowl.
2) Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
3) Add shallots and chili. Cook 5 minutes
4) Add garlic. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
5) Add tomatoes without juice along with 1/2 cup parsley. Simmer 5 minutes.
6) Add white wine, tomato juice and saffron. Simmer 6-8 minutes.
7) Increase to high heat. Add mussels, cover, and steam for 8 minutes.
8) Add 1/2 cup parsley and stir several times, then serve.